By S. Oboler
This ebook addresses the complicated factor of incarceration of Latino/as and provides a accomplished review of such issues as deportations in old context, a case examine of latino/a resistance to prisons within the 70s, the problems of teen and and ladies prisons, and the submit incarceration experience.
Read or Download Behind Bars: Latino/as and Prison in the United States PDF
Best minority studies books
This profile of Dominican americans closes a severe hole in information regarding the accomplishments of 1 of the most important immigrant teams within the usa. starting with a glance on the historic heritage and the roots of local Dominicans, this e-book then consists of the reader in the course of the age-old romance of U.
This quantity explores the complicated interactions of language with financial assets. How does poverty have an effect on language survival? How is the industrial prestige of people suffering from the languages they do or don't communicate? The authors handle those questions from a number of views, drawing on linguistics, language coverage and making plans, economics, anthropology, and sociology.
The booklet provides a well timed exam on various concerns found in the discussions at the integration of ethnic minorities in significant japanese Europe: norm environment, equality promoting, multiculturalism, nation-building, social team spirit, and ethnic range. It insightfully illustrates those debates via assessing them diachronically instead of cross-nationally from the felony, political and anthropological viewpoint.
In view that 1989 neo-nationalism has grown as a unstable political strength in just about all ecu societies in tandem with the formation of a neoliberal eu Union and wider capitalist globalizations. targeting operating periods positioned in long-run localized tactics of social swap, together with tactics of dispossession and disenfranchisement, this quantity investigates how the reports, histories, and relationships of social classification are an important factor for explaining the re-emergence and dynamics of populist nationalism in either japanese and Western Europe.
- Underclass: A History of the Excluded Since 1880
- Psychiatry in Multicultural Britain
- The Hispano Homeland
- An Interracial Movement of the Poor: Community Organizing and the New Left in the 1960s
- Beyond the Borderlands: Migration and Belonging in the United States and Mexico
- The New Politics Of Race And Gender: The 1992 Yearbook Of The Politics Of Education Association (Education Policy Perspectives)
Extra resources for Behind Bars: Latino/as and Prison in the United States
2006a. Prison and jail inmates at midyear 2005. NCJ 213133. S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. ———. 2006b. Prisoners in 2005. NCJ 215092. S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Justice Statistics. Healey, Joseph F. 2007. Race, ethnicity, gender, and class in the United States: Inequality, group conflict, and power. 4th ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Pine Forge Press. Horsman, Reginald. 1981. Race and manifest destiny: Origins of American racial AngloSaxonism. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
12. Johnson (2003, 346) cites United States v. S. S. Supreme Court precedent for making “Mexican appearance a relevant factor” in justifying a border patrol stop. S. PRISONS 35 References Acuña, Rodolfo. 2007. Occupied America: A history of Chicanos. 6th ed. New York: Pearson Longman. Albonetti, Celesta A. 1997. Sentencing under the federal sentencing guidelines: Effects of defendant characteristics, guilty pleas, and departures on sentence outcomes for drug offenses, 1991–1992. Law & Society Review 31 (4): 789–822.
Commission on Civil Rights. 2000. Police practices and civil rights in New York City: A report of the United States Commission on Civil Rights. S. Commission on Civil Rights United States Sentencing Commission. 2001. 2001 sourcebook of federal sentencing statistics. : United States Sentencing Commission. , and Nancy E. Walker, with Pamela Minifree, Omara RiveraVázquez, Susan Peterson, and Kristen Perry. 2002. ¿Dónde está la justicia? S. justice system. : Michigan State University/Building Blocks for Youth.